I’ve seen a few of these so far and although I said I didn’t think I’d do one, inevitably I’ve read through last year’s post and now feel the need to add another one.
Last year my #nurture1415 goals were:
1) Listen more to others- I like to talk so I tend to listen then join in, rather than listen and digest. I was conscious of times this year when I should listen more and talk less. I want to be better at this. I think I have managed this pretty well. I consciously think about this in meetings, socially and in the classroom.
2) Digest then react- I can sometimes react quickly to situations without thinking the whole thing through and then afterwards think I could have or should have dealt with things differently. I never give a flying off the handle type reaction but I can certainly take more time to digest and react possibly in a better way. Definitely better at this, there’s only one situation this year I can think of where I thought “you shouldn’t have jumped in there like that” but possibly as I’ve made an effort to jump back rather than jump in, it may have had an impact. Unsure. I know I felt disappointed in my reaction though.
3) Use Skype more- we Skype an amazing group of students in Canada and I love the reaction from both sets of students. It is an amazing learning experience for all, teachers included. I want to involve this more in the work of the department and use this tool to bring amazing people into our exciting classrooms. Not so good with this sadly, and something I do plan to utilise more in the coming year.
4) Improve- my department at work to make it more amazing than it already is, and my running times set from last year. The level of work, dedication, disappointments, training and effort I put in will lead to the improvements I want. Improvements made but still room for more.
5) Not to be so self critical- I will really struggle with this. I even don’t take compliments well as in my head the things that didn’t go well/ disappoint/ slipped/ are the things that I remember the most. I really do over think things too much sometimes so perhaps need to learn to brush things off better too? Absolute failure.
6) Be brave- I’m so much more confident than I was this time 2 years ago but I still become a nervy wreck in some situations. I need to be braver than I am currently. Many situations this year have made me a braver person on the outside, I need to link 5 and 6 together and get my head down.
So, for 2016….
1) Continue to stimulate my brain- reading, learning, travelling. I love learning and finding out new things. I had forgotten how much until I took an online MOOC through High Tech High and loved the feeling of achievement when I completed, submitted and passed my assignments. I need to re-ignite that part of my brain.
2) Play my baritone more often- I have performed a lot more this year and had totally missed the feeling of becoming totally absorbed in music. I was fortunate enough to perform with some amazing professionals this year and this made me realise I’m not as far off form as I thought and that I need to keep playing regularly.
3) Ask for help- It’s not something I find easy. Possibly having moved away from my family at 17 to study, I’m used to figuring out solutions on my own. I know I need to improve this. A colleague recently told me I need to be more like a goose sometimes, they don’t always fly at the front but hang back sometimes, then take the lead for a bit when it’s time again. I need to be a better goose.
4) Running goals- Marathon- I want to do 2 in 2016. One entered so far… I also want to complete my 50th parkrun and do some more parkrun tourism.
5) Memories- I have amazing memories from this year. Make more exciting, fun filled days, weekends, weeks, months for a fulfilling year.
I’m really looking forward to reading other #nurture1516 posts over the next few days….